Friday, November 12, 2010

Using the "Rewind" button

LS- "Parents should take every opportunity to teach their children how to make better choices." Yeah, easier said than done....Hello, we are trying to make it to a doctor's appointment on time.

Today my 12 year old came into the family room asking her 9 year old sister, "Hey, you want this?" It was said in a gruff tone and while asking her if she wanted the sweatshirt, she whacked her with it. She got a response appropriate for her actions I thought, "Hey, quit it. Leave me alone." ....Or something like that. To which the 12 year old said, "Fine, I'll give it to someone else." Now the 9 year old was finally able to see what was being offered to her, a Gator sweatshirt, that she indeed wanted, so she started to cry and her older sister got mad at her for crying about it and told her to "shut-up" and then little sister started yelling at her for being mean, of course.

REWIND
Time to call the kids in. Start over. I say, "You- come into the room and ask in a different way. You- respond in a different way and see where that takes you." They rolled their eyes, but played along and gee, things turned out differently.

Luckily I had time to REWIND. I don't often have that luxury. But, it is a good teaching tool when I can....even if I have to coach it along.

No comments: